The points have been tallied, and our project at 2002 W. Lake of the Isles is now officially certified "Gold" - the highest level - by Minnesota GreenStar!
MN GreenStar is the leading Residential Building Standards and Green Certification Program in Minnesota. To achieve this rating, the project employs dozens of sustainable strategies, including:
• On Site Energy. 13 wells beneath the garden provide highly efficient geothermal heating and cooling, and a 2.2 kilowatt rooftop solar array offsets electrical loads.
• Energy efficiency. The building envelope was made airtight and reinsulated to Energy Star levels; all windows are reconditioned or new. Before and after energy and leakage testing was conducted to confirm performance.
• Resource efficiency. Advanced framing techniques reduce lumber required. All lumber used is certified by the Forest Stewardship Council.
• Healthy Air. Energy Recovery Ventilator provides fresh air exchange while saving energy. Low/No VOC paints throughout. Radon capture system installed beneath basement slab. New cladding with rainscreen detailing prevents mold from moisture intrusion.
• Site & Community. Green roofs capture rainwater on site while reducing heating/cooling loads. All material reused if possible; all possible construction waste was recycled, including concrete, wood, and asphalt shingles.